Navigation
« To Confront or Not | Main | The Act of Being Mindful »
Tuesday
Jul262016

Depression and Nutrition

As our society becomes increasingly health conscious, I have noticed a recent trend in people looking for non-medication solutions to depression issues.  While many people with severe depression are simply unable (and should not attempt) to manage without medication, I do not think it is ever a bad idea to look at how lifestyle can be changed to either aid medication or remove the necessity for it in milder cases.  In previous blogs, I have explored the importance of exercise and sleep in regards to your mental state, but I would also like to include your eating habits as a central part of the discussion.

There have been many studies about the benefits of Vitamin D for people who suffer from depression and I often recommend sources such as Vitamin D drops or artificial sun lamps to try and increase Vitamin D intake in depressed patients.  I also recommend a great deal of natural sunlight.  If you can, take a walk outside during your lunch break or have your morning coffee on your deck.  However, Vitamin D is only part of the nutritional solution.  There are newer studies that have shown the benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids for people who suffer from depression. A lot of psychiatrists are now prescribing them to supplement anti-depressants because they have been shown to combat depression and boost the effectiveness of anti-depressant medication.  Fish, vegetable oils, leafy vegetables, nuts and flax seed are great sources of Omega 3 fatty acids, but a supplement can also help do the trick.

In addition, protein has been shown to be an important nutritional component in combatting depression.  I recently attended a lecture about this link and was amazed to hear that people with depression tend to have lower glucose levels which can create dips throughout the day making mood shifts more likely.  One way to combat these dips is to consume more protein, especially slow burning protein such as that found in meat, quinoa, brown rice and nuts.  For this reason, it is also a good idea for people with depression to have small protein rich snacks in between meals to keep their moods and their glucose steady.

I am not willing to say that quality sleep, exercise and these nutritional guidelines will completely rid you of depression, but I think the evidence of their benefits is too compelling to just ignore.  Anyone with depression whether they are on medication for treatment or not, should consider lifestyle an important part of their treatment along with therapy.  Slow and gradual lifestyle changes are easier to maintain and can have long lasting effects.

References (3)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.
  • Response
  • Response
    Response: Mental Health
  • Response
    Response: depression

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>